University of Georgia historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
University of Georgia historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clarke County
University of Georgia
Universities and colleges--Georgia--Athens
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located at the UGA Arch at the Main Entrance to the Campus, Broad St. opposite College Ave., Athens
Text of marker: "UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA. Endowed with 40,000 acres of land in 1784 and chartered in 1785, the charter was the first granted by a state for a government controlled university. After Louisville and then Greensboro were first selected, the current site was chosen. The first president, and author of the school's charter, Abraham Baldwin, resigned when the doors opened, and was succeeded by Josiah Meigs. The University first began to thrive under Moses Waddel, who became president in 1819. Alonzo Church was presidentin 1829-1859. During the War for Southern Independence, most of the students entered the Confederate Army. The University closed its doors in 1864, and did not open again until January 1866. After the war, many Confederate veterans became students. Famous pre-war professors were John and Joseph LeConte and Charles F. McCay, while famous students were Robert Toombs, Alexander H. Stephens, Howell Cobb, and Crawford W. Long. Plans for a modern university were first developed by Walter B. Hill and realized under Harmon W. Caldwell. The best known of the post-war presidents (now chancellors) was David C. Barrow. The builder of the modern plant was Chancellor Steadman V. Sanford. 029-1 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1991 (Note: The first state historical marker for the University of Georgia was erected by the Georgia Historical Commission in 1952. The above marker is a replacement for the earlier one and contains essentially the same text, with only minor editorial changes. Interestingly, both it and the 1952 original contain a factual error. Since 1932, the chief officer of the University of Georgia has been known as "president" - not "chancellor" (a title reserved for the chief officer of the State Board of Regents)."
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_university-of-georgia
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_university-of-georgia
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations