United States Navy Pre-Flight School historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
United States Navy Pre-Flight School historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Clarke County
United States. Navy--Aviation
Location:
United States, Georgia, Clarke County, Athens, 33.96095, -83.37794
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Located at entrance to Baldwin Hall, University of Georgia, Jackson Street, Athens
Text of marker: "United States Navy Pre-Flight School. Between 1942 and 1945, the Navy operated a Pre-Flight School on The University of Georgia campus. As one of only five such schools in the nation, the program trained approximately 20,000 cadets in the skills needed as combat pilots in the Pacific theater of World War II. The Navy utilized most of the existing campus and built numerous buildings and athletic facilities used by the college in later years. Additional Athens-area sites were also utilized and improvements were made to local streets and Ben Epps Airport. Few physical remainders of this large Naval presence remain. 2001.7 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, The University of Georgia and the United States Navy Supply Corps School 29-1"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_united-states-navy-pre-flight-school
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_united-states-navy-pre-flight-school
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations