Confederate Army of Tennessee historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Confederate Army of Tennessee historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Fulton County
Location:
United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Palmetto, 33.5178907, -84.6696548
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Confederate Monument on U.S. 29 in Palmetto
Text of marker: "CONFEDERATE ARMY OF TENNESSEE. The Army of Tennessee [Confederate] abandoned Atlanta Sept. 2, 1864, moved to Lovejoy, then to Palmetto, Sept. 19. Most of the Army entrenched 3 miles N. Gen. John B. Hood had headquarters here from Sept. 19 to 29, 1864. Pres. Jefferson Davis visited here Sept. 25th and on the 26th made a speech to the troops 3 miles N. where he was serenaded by the 20th Louisiana Band. That same night Gen. Howell Cobb and Gov. Isham Harris of Tenn. spoke. On the 27th Pres. Davis left for Montgomery. Gen. Hardee was relieved of his command here, Sept. 28, and on the 29th Gen. Hood moved from here to start the disastrous Tennessee Campaign. 060-112 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_confederate-army-of-tennessee
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_confederate-army-of-tennessee
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations