Colored Department of the City Hospital historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
Colored Department of the City Hospital historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1996/2014
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Muscogee County
Hospitals--Georgia--Columbus
Location:
United States, Georgia, Muscogee County, Columbus, 32.46098, -84.98771
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Corner of 17th Street & 8th Avenue (across from the backside of Linwood Cemetery) Columbus
Text of marker: "COLORED DEPARTMENT OF THE CITY HOSPITAL. The first City Hospital, c. 1841, was located on the South Commons. Called "the Pest House," its clients were charity patients. The second City Hospital, c. 1894, was built across from Linwood Cemetery. Architectural details of the Victorian era hospital included a turret, porte-cochere and covered walkways from white and colored wards leading to a brick operating room, to the left of the building. Columbus' third hospital was built in 1915, with the Colored Department building located to the rear. The Colored Department was a three-story brick structure completely fitted with the latest and most modern equipment, providing thirty beds. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION ALFONSO BIGGS AND THE HISTORIC COLUMBUS FOUNDATION, INC., 2003"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_colored-department-of-the-city-hospital
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_colored-department-of-the-city-hospital
Rights Holder:
Copyright held by David Seibert. Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations