1918 Diamond Jubilee 1933 Camp Benning/Fort Benning (Side 1) historical marker

Collection:
Georgia Historical Markers
Title:
1918 Diamond Jubilee 1933 Camp Benning/Fort Benning (Side 1) historical marker
Creator:
Seibert, David
Date of Original:
1993
Subject:
Historical markers--Georgia--Muscogee County
Military bases--Georgia
Location:
United States, Georgia, Muscogee County, Columbus, 32.46098, -84.98771
Medium:
photographs
Type:
StillImage
Format:
image/jpeg
Description:
Location: Macon and Dixon Roads, Columbus (at site of Hilton)
Text of marker: "1918 DIAMOND JUBILEE 1933 CAMP BENNING/FORT BENNING. In October 1918, the Infantry School of Arms was established on 80 acres of land near here. Camp Benning, later Fort Benning, was named in honor of Confederate Infantry Lewis Benning, a Columbus resident. The camp's first commander was Col. Henry Eames. Constructed in just 7 days, the temporary camp had some 300 tents, mess halls, offices and warehouses. It was built under the supervision Major J. Paul Jones. Hundreds of thousands of young men received their military training under the watchful eye of such legendary military leaders as Marshall, Eisenhower, Stllwell, Collins, and Patton, here at the Infantry School. ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION AND THE CARL PATRICK FOUNDATION 1993"
Metadata URL:
https://dlg.usg.edu/record/dlg_ghm_1918-diamond-jubilee-1933-camp-benning-fort-benning-side-1
Digital Object URL:
http://dlg.galileo.usg.edu/do:dlg_ghm_1918-diamond-jubilee-1933-camp-benning-fort-benning-side-1
Rights Holder:
Please contact markers@davidseibert.com about commercial reproduction and use
Holding Institution:
Digital Library of Georgia
Rights:

Locations