- Isaac R. Clark Memorial Collection
- Lectures on a Historians View of the Church and Theological Education in America, June 14, 1960
Taylor, Charles L. The Church and Theological Education in Europe; Sidney Mead, A Historical View of Theological Education in America (June 14-16, 1960)
- Date of Original:
- African Americans--Religion
Theology--Study and teaching
Lectures and lecturing
- United States, Georgia, Fulton County, Atlanta, 33.749, -84.38798
- Charles L. Taylor delivers a lecture on the Church and theological education in Europe. In his lecture he compares and contrasts theological education in Europe and the United States. Additionally, Sidney Mead gives a lecture on theological education and the view of a historian. In the lecture he discusses the problem of ambiguity within Church history in the United States.
00:00:07 Charles L. Taylor introduces his title The Church and Theological Education in Europe: An Appreciation. Talks about how he was sent to Europe to get an understanding of theological education there, and how it could help in America., 00:04:25 Talks about preaching in Europe and contribution of Christians make to the men of science, and the importance of science., 00:13:11 Talks about minsters being civil servants., 00:21:11 Talks about European students and prophetic voice and power. Also talks about the academic controls in Europe., 00:28:00 Talks about the practicality of American university and theological schools., 00:29:00 Talks about Dean Miller and the preparation of minsters., 00:42:14 Talks about associations between the work of theological education in Europe and that in the United States., 00:46:43 Ends lecture., 00:47:01 Unidentified man talks about privilege it is to introduce Sidney Mead., 00:48:02 Introduces Sidney Mead and his paper, A Historical View of the Church and Theological Education in America., 00:48:16 Sidney Mead thanks the unidentified man talks about story of theological education in America., 00:49:50 Talks about how he has abandoned and shifted from the published title A Historical View of the Church and Theological Education to A Historians View of the Church and Theological Education in America. His intention is to make a few observations from a historian point of view., 00:50:36 Talks about being a historian and encountering the problem of the ambiguous position of American Church History., 00:58:18 Talks about how as American Church Historian he feels he stands in a no mans land between seminary and university., 01:05:37 Talks about the tendencies in theological revival of the day., 01:08:32 Talks about how any consideration of the church in the United States is brought up sharply against the multiplicity of independent organized Christian religious groups. This baffles historians., 01:19:04 Talks about the internal conflict of denominations and basic principles and competitions among religious groups., 01:26:27 Talks about how evangelicalism was swamped in a tidal wave ecclesiastical or organizational sectarianism., 01:33:18 Ends lecture., 01:33:26 Audio ends.
The Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library acknowledges the generous support of the National Endowment for Humanities - Humanities Collections and Reference Resources Implementation Project Grant in supporting the processing and digitization of a number of its major archival collections as part of the project: Spreading the Word: Expanding Access to African American Religious Archival Collections at the Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library.
- Metadata URL:
- Additional Rights Information:
- All works in this collection either are protected by copyright and/or are the property of the Robert W. Woodruff Library, and/or the copyright holder as appropriate. To order a reproduction or to inquire about permission to publish, please contact the Archives Research Center at: email@example.com with the web URL or handle identification number.
- Original Collection:
- Isaac R. Clark Memorial Collection
- Holding Institution:
- Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library