Description The collection includes images of residents and homes in the Bedford-Pine district of Atlanta, Georgia during the early 1970s. The images depict children playing in the streets and on playgrounds as well as adults outside their homes. The photographs depict dilapidated and condemned housing in the area, a few neighborhood storefronts, refuse, and scenes of the Atlanta skyline in the background., Bedford Pine is an area in Atlanta, Georgia bounded by North Avenue on the north end, Highland Avenue to the south, Boulevard to the east, and Piedmont Avenue to the west. The area was annexed by Atlanta in 1870 and developed until a fire destroyed businesses and homes in 1917. After the fire, the neighborhood deteriorated in value and maintenance as middle class residents moved away and were replaced by people at or near the poverty line. Most of the structures in the neighborhood were destroyed during the 1960s and 1970s in urban renewal projects. New housing was constructed during the decades that followed, and Georgia Power Company chose the area for its headquarters in 1979.